Tuesday 21 May 2013

Talk about...................mmmmm pop music

So yesterday's blog was a great success. It would appear that everyone liked my horrific hair and letters to myself over the years. I asked the Facebook crew again this morning...............and the winner of the best suggestion was my friend and self proclaimed 'Welsh fitty' Mark Denton from Cardiff. I liked the boyo's idea................
 
TEN SONGS THAT TAKE ME BACK
 
My friend Debbie reckons I have the musical taste of a gay man and I am forced to agree. I make no apologies for any of these songs, they are just ten I have picked from memory that will always take me back to a different time or place. And they are in no particular order of how much I like them.
 
1.Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep by Middle of The Road
This was apparently in the charts in 1971 so I must have been 3. Back in those days everybody listened to the radio a lot and one of my first memories was of my mother singing along to it whilst doing the housework. It was catchy and fun and I would join in too. I have just listened to it again on YouTube and I have no idea whatsoever what on earth it's about.
 
2. Do They Know it's Christmas? by Band Aid
I was 16 and in the first year of my 'a' levels in Alnwick. The tv news had been flooded by reports and stories of the famine crisis in Ethopia and the outspoken Irish singer Bob Geldof decided to do something about it. Every pop star that was anyone at the time was involved in the song and the video is still a nostalgic treat to watch. It reminds me of being in the pub and at parties at Christmas and the opening drums and bells takes me instantly back to those places. My friend Joanne and I particularly liked Bono's line sang in true rock god fashion -
''well tonight thank god it's them instead of you''
and would sing along to it, each of us taking it in turns to be Bono.
Stock Aitken and Waterman did a naff version in the mid 80's and there was one 20 years later in 2004 which was also very good but despite a fab rap from Dizzee Rascal halfway through, the first one is most definitely the best!
 
3. I Guess That's Why They Call it The Blues by Elton John
I was 15 and I had been in love for the first time. My boyfriend was 2 years older than me and we had an intense 4 month relationship and it had come to a natural end. I was gutted. I was devestated and this song summed it up for me. I sat in my bedroom at 26 Bailffgate, Alnwick and slapped the single onto my trusty record player, sliding the arm over when it dropped so it would play constantly. I cried, I dabbed my eyes and then cried some more. He was the one that had initiated we 'finish' and I think my pride was broken as much as my heart.
 
4. Let's Dance by David Bowie
I was a little bit young to fully appreciate David Bowie when he was in his Ziggy Stardust stage, plus, my mother thought he was a freak and would turn the radio off if he came on. He did re-emerge in 1983 ish all clean cut and absolutely gorgeous. I was smitten. The girls and I had a big night out arranged at the tennis club disco which was to be held at The White Swan Hotel. I had a cord long gypsy skirt and white frilly blouse and headband but best of all...............some red shoes - this meant when David uttered that immortal line ''put on your red shoes and dance the blues'' then I was literally too cool for school.
 
5. Vogue by Madonna
My gay best friend Simon is Madonna's number one fan. He insisted that we go and see her live in London 2004 at Earl's Court. Simon is not a quiet man, he is the loudest queen you could meet and a bit of a snob so we obviously had to have VIP tickets. This meant, we got a free programme and a special badge to hang round our necks and were allowed into an exclusive lounge before the show where there was unlinited alcohol and nibbles. We were bladdered before we took our almost at the front seats and there was lots of celebrities there. Her opening song was this one and I will always remember thousands of other gay raving queens practically bursting into flames and doing their vogue moves. One of the funniest nights of my life.
 
6. Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty
This song was originally in the charts in 1978 but for some reason was playing on the radio on October 5th 1992 at 5am when I had gone into labour with Hattie. My husband was driving up the Hayle bypass to Truro while I had convinced myself that was going to give birth there and then in the passenger seat. According to my labour manual I was 100% ready and he had to drive really fast and all that we saw on the roads was wagons delivering bread. Turns out when I got to the hospital , my cervix was about a quarter of a centimetre so I think I may have peaked too soon with my childbirth expectations.
 
7. Ignition by R Kelly
Martha's best friend is Billie and they have been best friends for 12 years. This song was in the charts when they were about 6 and they knew it word for word. It reminds me of driving them to school in the mornings and was always on the radio. It used to tickle me that 2 girls of 6 would like such a song when all their friends were probably listening to S Club 7.
 
8. Eidelweiss by Captain Von Trapp
The Sound of Music was, is and always will be one of my favourite films ever. I went to the pictures to see it with my Dad when I was about 9 and I was transfixed by it all. Alps, singing nuns, handsome captains - this film had the lot. This song , sung at the Vienna Music Festival by Captain Von Trapp made me cry as he was singing the song about his favourite Austrian flower but the nazis were waiting to take him away afterwards. He breaks down halfway through so Maria, ex nun and new wife comes on stage along with the 7 children to help him sing. My dad had fallen asleep at this point but I buried my tear soaked face into his arm next to me as I was by now hysterical.
 
9. Pump up the Volume by Marrs
I had finally left home and gone to Leeds Polytechnic! House music was in and acid house music was soon to happen.The Poly used to hold a disco every Wednesday and Saturday where all of us homesick kids would drink far too much, dance and then drink a bit more. We were all getting to know each other but this song brought us together on the dancefloor. I loved it then and I love it now although none of it really makes sense.
 
10. Always on my Mind by The Pet Shop Boys ( 12 inch version)
I am a fan of The Pet Shop Boys and I am proud of it. I know they are slightly naff but I dont care. They are also from the north east and I sort of knew the lead singer's brother many years ago. This song was also recorded by Willie Nelson and Elvis but The Pet Shop Boys one is the best. The lyrics are beautiful and so is the sentiment of it all. It takes me back to Leeds again and being at a nightclub called Confetti's where this song was played all the time. I had lovely hair, it was blonde and it was straight, I was 20 and I loved every minute of my life at that time.
I also want it played at my funeral .
 
I could do another ten but I wont!

2 comments:

  1. There was a cover version of Baker Street in 1992 by a band called Undercover. Might have been that on the radio when you were in labour! Either way, great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah you know what? I thought there may have been! Glad you enjoyed it! x

    ReplyDelete