Wednesday 8 May 2013

Everybody needs a Hector

So last night  was the first Tuesday of the month and that means it was Book Group!
 
The book that we were discussing was this one and we all liked it......by gob we did, especially Hector the randy farmhand with the speech impediment and his fondness for going up cock lane.  Some characters in books just jump off the page and smack you in the face and there was several in this story that did. I had already read one of this writer's other books last year and she is definitely now up there with my favourites.

Now you may recall that last week I had the dilemma of choosing the next book. I had whittled it down to - The Wasp Factory, The White Family, or The Dumb House. All three of them are quite nasty and as much as they are all good, what I really wanted was one that would provoke a discussion - a heated discussion would be even better.

I had a flash of inspiration on Monday night when I remembered a book I had  read a while ago and decided there and then that it would be 'the one'.

For those of you that are interested - it's this!

It's not a pleasant read and it is obviously based on a very famous crime that happened in this country and the aftermath of it....but I guarantee if you read it then you will question your ethics and how you feel. It's gripping stuff.

The only thing missing from it is a Hector.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment